Announcement

Collapse

Rules updated

Old members and new members, please read the updated rules.
You find them as sticky at the top of all forum categories, for example here:
http://gamershood.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1603
Thank you for taking a couple of minutes to do that.

The moderation team
See more
See less

Most Boring Book You've Read

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Most Boring Book You've Read

    What is the most boring book that you've ever read? Just curious.

    Mine is The Witch of Blackbird Pond- by FAR the most boring book I have EVER read. My school forced us to read it over Summer Vacation in 2006. By the way; do any of your schools think that just because a book has won a Newberry Honor award, we'll like it?

    Last edited by Jones; 03-15-2008, 15:22:12.
    sigpic
    "キン肉マンは永遠だ"

    Soda Beverage of the Looney Bin

  • #2
    umm... 'Our Island Story' by... by... erm, it was so boring I cant even remember the author. But it sucked. It was historical... and very long.
    Just find the horizon
    I promise you it's not
    As far as you
    Think.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by *sizz* View Post
      umm... 'Our Island Story' by... by... erm, it was so boring I cant even remember the author. But it sucked. It was historical... and very long.
      Sounds a lot like mine... not completely though. Mainly because my choice took place in, that's right, the 1600s; sounds fun! Huh?
      sigpic
      "キン肉マンは永遠だ"

      Soda Beverage of the Looney Bin

      Comment


      • #4
        The giver by lois lowrey i had yto read it for school it sucks
        Emos not cutting your wrists or being depressed or wanting to kill.Emo is emotional.Emo is being ourselves.To tell you the truth emo is a music genre.So next time you wanna talk about an emo.Learn what emo means

        Member of the GH looney bin and proud of it

        Online family:

        Husband: point click man

        bro in law:invincible

        dad:rc-10m

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ratgirl111 View Post
          The giver by lois lowrey i had yto read it for school it sucks
          Me too!
          sigpic
          "キン肉マンは永遠だ"

          Soda Beverage of the Looney Bin

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jones View Post
            Me too!
            Same here
            Da pudding turtle fanatic
            Da PM spammers's fanatic
            THE ONE WHO LIVES IN PUDDING


            I am the loony bin chip eater
            GFARDTO Chip eater
            WOO SITE! http://gamesrfun.smfforfree4.com/index.php
            AYUH!
            ( )_( )
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

            R.I.P Kairi the guinea pig and Helena the rat
            Online family: Sister: Super_T.
            Brothers: Hugo_smith and awesomeman

            Comment


            • #7
              wow ive never even heard of that book...
              Just find the horizon
              I promise you it's not
              As far as you
              Think.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by *sizz* View Post
                wow ive never even heard of that book...
                It's basically about someone named Jonas who receives memories because he's some kind of "chosen one" in a faux utopian society. I must admit it is quite boring throughout.

                Did like the stirrings part though...
                sigpic
                "キン肉マンは永遠だ"

                Soda Beverage of the Looney Bin

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's amazing how many people dislike so much the books that are forced to read for school.
                  I am currently reading a book for school, and I dislike it so much, it might even be a good book, and in other circumstances maybe I would even like it, but having that pressure on having to read it all, and understanding everything, turns it into a monster...

                  The book is Os Maias (by a portuguese author from the 19th century, and probably the book is only known in Portugal). There are some details about it that I actually like, for example, the dark humor the author uses throughout the story. I dislike though the story itself; it's a simple (or maybe complex) story of a family. Not really my favourite kind of readings...but I still have to read it...annoying annoying.
                  Going on a trip around the universe on a convertible

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Lord Of the Rings- That guy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by doglover View Post
                      It's amazing how many people dislike so much the books that are forced to read for school.
                      I am currently reading a book for school, and I dislike it so much, it might even be a good book, and in other circumstances maybe I would even like it, but having that pressure on having to read it all, and understanding everything, turns it into a monster...

                      The book is Os Maias (by a portuguese author from the 19th century, and probably the book is only known in Portugal). There are some details about it that I actually like, for example, the dark humor the author uses throughout the story. I dislike though the story itself; it's a simple (or maybe complex) story of a family. Not really my favourite kind of readings...but I still have to read it...annoying annoying.
                      School actually turned me off from reading for many years because of that. I love to read now, but after I graduated I didn't want to go near a book. In fact I know quite a few other people that haven't read any literature since they graduated. I can understand the importance of making students read classic literature, but at the same time I think its equally important to make reading enjoyable as well. I believe the purpose of reading classes is defeated when you turn people against ever opening a book again. Luckily most of my teachers tried their best to make it interesting, even if it wasn't. Otherwise I would probably still be in that category of people that hate books altogether.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        eeeer....... i think treasure island...
                        i know its meant to be a classic but to me it just drones on and on and on
                        Smiley Master of the Looney Bin!!
                        gh law number 1.
                        :D:D keep smiling :D:D
                        who needs bunnies when you can shout AYUH!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ratgirl111 View Post
                          The giver by lois lowrey i had yto read it for school it sucks
                          Originally posted by Jones View Post
                          Me too!
                          I just finished reading it (not because I had to, but because I wanted to...), and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. But, then again, I am a teacher... And I love utopian society books, like 1984 and Brave New World.

                          Most boring book I had to read in school? Well, at the time, I thought Watership Down was incredibly boring, but I've since gone back and reread it, and I also enjoyed it. Never could finish The Great Gatsby, though... that one just didn't appeal to me at all.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            @Jack
                            It's even sad that people you knew stopped reading because of it!
                            I, to be honest, haven't realized yet the point of making us read classic literature.
                            My current teacher doesn't have to do much to make the book a bit more interesting. The book we're reading now has lots of irony and sarcasm, and most times we don't really understand what it means, so the teacher has only to explain it to us to put the whole class laughing, eheh. But the book is still boring.
                            Going on a trip around the universe on a convertible

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Crimsonthread View Post
                              I just finished reading it (not because I had to, but because I wanted to...), and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. But, then again, I am a teacher... And I love utopian society books, like 1984 and Brave New World.

                              Most boring book I had to read in school? Well, at the time, I thought Watership Down was incredibly boring, but I've since gone back and reread it, and I also enjoyed it. Never could finish The Great Gatsby, though... that one just didn't appeal to me at all.
                              Oh, I loved to read Watership Down. Go and figure why that is.

                              I think the most boring book I ever read was Het Bittere Kruid by Margo Minco. And yes, I was obligated to read it from school for Netherlands. And a In Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco has good second place. I had to read it for history, but after about hundred pages I gave up and just read the summary and hired the movie, hehe. On the third place comes The Two Towers by Tolkien. However I really enjoyed the Fellowship of The Ring, I got so bored halfway the second book and gave up on it. A few years later I gave it another shot, because I was so curious how the quest would end, but I only came a little further before I gave up on it a second time. And well some years later the movies came out, so the chance I try it a third time is very, very tiny.

                              Other books I remember I had to read from school (and weren't that bad or I actually liked) are:
                              Eric of het Kleine Insectenboek (Netherlands, other books we were free to choose).
                              Bram Stoker's Dracula, The house of Thousand Lanterns, The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More, David Copperfield (English).
                              The Clan of the Cave Bear (history).
                              Faily of Kzin

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X