Frogs!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frogs!!!

is anyone else here as frog obsessed as i am? if so post here, if not what do you have to say about frogs
    (only possitive comments please)
    yes
    88.89%
    no
    11.11%

The poll is expired.

eat my dust

I'm afraid I'm not as big a fan of frogs as you are. (I'm like that with cats. ) But I think frogs are pretty cute. Especially tree frogs.

Comment

yea they r
      eat my dust

Comment

I am not obsessed with frogs, but I like these amphibians. I once saw a tree frog that looked like he was smiling all the time. Even the not frog lovers of my class couldn't help to let escape an big awww. I am not fully sure but I think it was the Litoria caerulea.

Edit: I remember there was something about this smiling frog. I thought they had a waxy skin or something.
        Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

I like frogs, but I'm not obsessed with them (I'm obsessed with dogs, lol).

Comment

A smiling frog? Awww....that just sounds adorable. I love it when animals look like they're smiling. (Dogs do that, too.) But this was the markings that made it look like that, Adventure?

Was it this one?

Comment

Oh, that's a great and funny picture of a frog.
              But no, that isn't the one I meant - it indeed was the Litoria caerulea
              But on most picture I found it hasn't the appearing smile their face. But these pictures give the idea.

Btw I just read that the waxy skin of this frog secrete natural antibiotics and other interesting peptides. I found it interesting enough to post it here.
              Originally posted by wikipedia
              Although frogs have lungs, they absorb oxygen through their skin, and for this to occur efficiently, the skin must be moist. A disadvantage of moist skin is that pathogens can thrive on it, increasing the chance of infection. To counteract this, frogs secrete peptides that destroy these pathogens. The skin secretion from the Green Tree Frog contains caerins, a group of peptides with antibacterial and antiviral properties. It also contains caerulins, which have the same physiological effects as CCK-8, a digestive hormone and hunger suppressant.[5] Several peptides from the skin secretions of the Green Tree Frog have been found to destroy HIV without harming healthy T-cells.[6]
              Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

the smiling frogs are so cute!!!
                eat my dust

Comment

Ah, thank you Adventure. That's very interesting to learn that! I had no idea. I'm still trying to figure out why when you pick up a frog they pee on you. I have heard it's something to do with our skin burning theirs, so for this reason, I no longer pick them up. Do you know if that's true?

@1234567....I know! Aren't they?

Comment

Kermit's Rainbow Connection certainly did a lot for my appreciation of frogs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEVY51DD0Hk

Comment

yea
                      this is my favorite, (tho it's not real )
                      eat my dust

Comment

Originally posted by EscapeGirl View Post
                        Ah, thank you Adventure. That's very interesting to learn that! I had no idea. I'm still trying to figure out why when you pick up a frog they pee on you. I have heard it's something to do with our skin burning theirs, so for this reason, I no longer pick them up. Do you know if that's true?
                        It's true frogs and toads urinate when they are frightened, but I don't think touching them makes their skin burn. However I am not too sure..
                        In any way picking them up can damage their skin and since most frogs and toads can breath through their skin as well, it's advised to not pick them up when not needed.

Sorry that's all I know. Maybe google can give a better answer.
                        Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

Ah. Thank you dear amiga.

Comment

that is very interesting adventure, of all the things i knew about frogs i didn't know that
                            eat my dust

Comment

Doesn't frogs give you skin disease? i heard some frogs have poisonous glands on their skins which gives you skin disease when you touch it.

Comment

Working...
                              X