No announcement yet.

Chit Chat 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember that most sets come with crappy heads,you'll wanna change 'em out (both top & bottom) to get a good sound.I'm partial to Remo,but Evans & Aquarian make good ones too.

You should get back into it,it's damn fun & they say us old farts (I'm 3 years older than you kid ) benefit from exercising our brains.

Speakin' of double bass,that's something I never got into.Too much stuff to carry,takes up too much room on stage & not suitable for a lot of music.
    Havin' said that,here's my cool story: I studied under a guy who'd studied under Louie Bellson (Louie invented the double bass) & I asked him what good double bass was? He told me he'd asked Louie the same question & he replied "Well,it's good for solos,accents & looks good on stage.Other than that it's useless."

Several years later I met Louie at a drum clinic & told him I'd studied under Skip & he said "Then you must be a really good drummer" .Louis was a true gentleman.

My other brushes with fame include playing for the Hager Twins,renting my set to Scott Rockenfield & playing with Sonny West at the '07 Clovis Music Festival.

This is my main snare,a Ludwig Hammered Bronze Supraphomic 400 hotrodded with brass-plated die-cast rims,brass tube lugs & Puresound snares.When there's a jam session I always get asked to bring it
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Kzin View Post
      OMB, someone stop him he is trying to go on vacation...
      .... OMG that was too funny!

Nice Snare Freddie!
      Last edited by OneBun; 02-09-2013, 19:08:11. Reason: practicing my editz to impress the mods! :D
      Seeking Where My Alien & Mysterious Sis Has gone???
      Looney GHer!

Comment

• No need to impress us dear....we know how wonderful you are
        From now on, this is how it is going to be, just her and me
        sigpic

Comment

• I wish I was as wonderful as I think I am Yvonne
          "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

• nice looking snare Freddie 14X 4 inch ?
            i like the deeper sound of wood and a 5 inch deep ,but you can't argue about taste

pitty our (used to) bass player lives in Thailand now

Comment

• Originally posted by Frantic Freddie View Post
              I wish I was as wonderful as I think I am Yvonne
              You are wonderful too Freddie...
              Love to read the stuff you write

Reading back I see that my comment looks weird I was commenting on the edit reason from OneBun but I probably should have been more clear in my post
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by old biker View Post
                nice looking snare Freddie 14X 4 inch ?
                i like the deeper sound of wood and a 5 inch deep ,but you can't argue about taste

pitty our (used to) bass player lives in Thailand now
                14x5,my one wood snare is 14x4 & the other is an old Ludwig Acrolite (aluminum shell). I'd like to buy an '80s Ludwig split-shell,they don't make 'em anymore but I loved the sound,they come up on eBay sometimes,but of course it's always when I'm broke

No prob,Yvonne I've run into "musicians" who claim to have played with this or that famous musician,they're always full of something...south end of a bull...something. Got 2 stories about that.....

One was a guy I met at the Molly's jam session,said he'd played with Frank Zappa & was lookin' for a gig. I looked at him & said "If you're good enough to have played with Zappa,why are you lookin' for a gig here in Bumfark,New Mexico? Why ain't you workin' the LA studios for big money?". He just walked off. I'd heard him play earlier & he was OK,but nowhere near Zappa's standard.

This is a good one Coupla years ago,playin' a local place,this guy had the audacity to claim,after he'd told me his name,that he was the drummer who'd played "In-a-gadda-da-vida".
                That really set me off.

Me "(insert bad word)!!! I know the drummer's name & I know what he looks like! You ain't him! People* like you make me wanna puke, I'm onto you jerkface*, you picked the wrong guy to peddle your nonsense* to, I know too much"**

He took one more sip of his beer & quietly turned & left. As soon as he got out the door the bartender & some other people thanked me, he'd been obnoxious but not enough to throw him out.

*not the real words
                **in fact, a highly edited version of what I really said, seein'as this is a family forum....
                Last edited by Frantic Freddie; 02-13-2013, 01:10:18.

Mark Twain

Comment

• I love the stories
                  I wish I had some to tell but my life is so not exciting
                  I never go to bars and the only things I could talk about are work stories but there aren't any
                  sigpic

Comment

• I got a whole buncha stories, mostly band & bar stuff, I'm not good with jokes but I love to tell funny stories.

Speakin' of work, this happened to me way back when I worked in a music store:

A little background: I lived in Madrid,Spain in the late '60s, my father was with NASA during the Apollo program. NASA employees are civilians, so we couldn't even go on the USAF base, much less go to school there, so me & my brothers went to Spanish schools. Consequently, I learned to speak perfect Castillian Spanish with a Madrid accent.

In 1976 &77 I was working in a music store in Santa Fe,NM. A Spanish (that's what they call themselves in NM, not Hispanic) couple came in one day lookin' for a cheap guitar. I showed them our cheapest beginner outfit, guitar,case,strap & 3 picks, about $50 at the time, a good seller for us.
                    Now I'm a red-haired, blue-eyed, turn-lobster-red-in-the-sun guy, I certainly don't look like I speak Spanish.

So, in a gesture of extreme rudeness, they start speaking Spanish: "This (bad Spanish word) just trying to rip us off because we're Spanish" along with some other choice words. I just stood there smiling & when they finished they said in English "We'll go check some other places".

Right as they turned around to walk out, I said in Spanish "Thanks for coming in, hope you find what you're looking for, have a nice day"

They hit the door at a dead run :LOL:

Then my boss, the owner, stuck his head around the corner & asked "Are they gone?" "Yep" I said. He says "I knew you were gonna do that!" (he was Spanish) & practically fell down laughing & bought me dinner that night

Mark Twain

Comment

• Well then.
                      I've been away from these parts of the internet for... a long time, now. 2010, last I reckon, and that was only a day or so. But somehow, I've wandered back here.
                      It's changed a lot... I'm not sure I recognize anyone any more, and I'm sure I wouldn't be recognized by the few I remember either. I'm not even sure where to start, which is why this post is probably quite out of place. But as far as I recall, chit-chat was always a place to post whatever you felt like talking about. So here goes.
                      Hello, world.

...All right, now I feel like a geek.
                      Anyway, hi. I'm Kik. I hope it'll be nice to be back.

Comment

• Welcome back!

I do remember you and it is nice that you're back....

How is life?

A student who changes the course of history is probably taking an exam.

As long as the answer is right, who cares if the question is wrong?

Comment

• Oh wow. I was quite expecting to be ignored or something.
                          But thank you for the welcome!

Life's good, I suppose -- lots of big changes. I went to university this year, actually; it's my first year there.
                          I've been having a good time, though, and been doing well in my courses, so I must be doing something right.

How about for you?

Comment

• Lol...left university some years back....

doing good in your courses probably means you have choosen the ones you like.

Oh life is great with me...cat wakes me at 4am...

Comment

• Heh, well you're quite a bit ahead of me, I gather.

Ugh, that's got to be annoying. As a university student, I've discovered the value of sleep.
                              Speaking of that, it's almost quarter to 2 in the morning here. I was working on a physics lab, but I think I'm not getting anywhere any more.
                              I hate to cut our conversation short, but I think I'd better call it a night... or morning!
                              Anyways, it was nice to be back, and I hope I return again soon, hopefully not in three years time from now. I was marginally surprised my account was still here, let alone I knew the login.
                              I hope you have a good one!

Comment

• Hope you'll have sweet dreams and hope to see you again soon...grin

Comment

Working...
                                X