Now you're in New York!
      These streets will make you feel brand new,
      These lights will inspire you,
      Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York

JAY Z AND ALICIA KEYS - EMPIRE STATE OF MIND CLICK HERE

Comment

• [ATTACH]10167[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Titanic???????????????????????????????????
          New York!
          Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,
          There's nothing you can’t do,

Now you're in New York!

Comment

• Nope, but thats what I thought people would think.

Comment

• What about?????????
              Ariel was of the Titanic category (big hopes and stakes but drowned unfortunately) - a clipper with specifications 60 m x 10 m x 6,4 m. She was designed by William Rennie, and built in 1865 by the Company Robert Steel & Co, Greenock for Shaw, Lowther & Maxton of London. Its life was short - only 7 years; when it set sails for Sydney it never reached its destination.

Blackadder was another infamous ship - because of some miscalculations of her constructors, its mast fell during the first ever traveling. Captain Willis sewed the building company. Blackadder had a twin ship - Halloween. In 1905 it was wrecked on its way to Bahia, and it was fully loaded with coal.

Thermopylae was an wonderful composite clipper ship built in 1868 by Walter Hood & Co of Aberdeen on the design of Bernard Weymouth for the White Star Line of Aberdeen. Her measures were 212'0"×36'0"×20'9" and the weight - 991 GRT, 948 NRT and 927 tons under deck. The magnificent ship was rigged with royal sails, single topgallant and double top-sails. Generally, she was designed for the China tea route, and set distinctive speed records on her first voyage to Melbourne - 63 days, and keeps the record of the fastest trip under sail. In 1872 in a competition between the famous clipper Cutty Sark from Shanghai back to London, Thermopylae won by seven days. (Cutty Sark suffered a serious accudent). In 1895 she was sold to Portugal and used as a naval training ship. The Portuguese Navy deserted her at sea in the beginning of XX-th century.

Sir Lancelot is an enormous clipper ship, measuring 51 m x 10 m x 7 m, and of 886 tons net. She was built in 1865 by the serious company Robert Steel & Co, Greenock. In 1895 she was owned by Persian tradesmen, she was told to have sunk on 01.10 during a cyclone near Sand Heads, Calcutta when she was on a passage from the Red Sea westwards, loaded with salt.

Lothair was an iron-hulled clipper ship of 794 tons, built in 1869 by William Walker at Rotherhyde for their own shipping business. In 1873, she was purchased by Killick, Martin & Co. Lothair sailed on until about 1910.

Norman Court was a composite clipper ship, its sizes were 60 m x 10 ft x 7 m, of 834 tons net. She was designed by William Rennie, and is considered as his best clipper ship design; she was built in 1869 by A & J Inglis, Glasgow. Unfortunately, on the night of during a fierce storm it was driven ashore and wrecked in Cymmeran Bay.

Other famous British clippers: Tsaitsing, Leander, Tayleur

American famous ships:

Champion of the Seas was the second enormous clipper ship destined for the Liverpool, England - Melbourne, Australia passenger service. Champion was designed for James Baines of the Black Ball Line from Donald McKay. She was launched April 19, 1854 and was wrecked January 3, 1877, leaking badly off Cape Horn. It had 3 masts.

Champion of the Seas has scored one of the fastest day's run in 24 hours: 465 nautical miles noon to noon December 10-11, 1854 under the command of Captain Alexander Newlands. This record stood until August 1984, nearly 130 years.
              Champion of the Seas's had a sculpture - the full figure of a sailor. James Baines, owner of the Black Ball Line of Liverpool, ordered Champion of the Seas from Donald McKay of East Boston in the U.S.A. She was looked very much like McKay's other clippers, Lightning and James Baines, but set no sails above the royals. She has the indisputable record for the fastest noon to noon run, 465 miles on her premiere voyage from Liverpool to Melbourne.

From the beginning of her 'career' at seas, Champion served in the passenger trade. During the Indian Mutiny of 1857, the British government chartered the three Black Ball clippers to transport soldiers to Calcutta.

The Flying Cloud was the most famous of the extreme clippers constructed by Donald McKay in East Boston, Massachusetts.

The Flying Cloud was bought for $90,000 and launched in New York. Within six weeks she set sails for a big challenge: New York - San Francisco round Cape Horn; and she succeeded in 89 days hours under the command of Captain Josiah Perkins Cressey. On July 31, during the trip, she made 374 miles in 24 hours. In 1853 she even made it better - breaking her own record by 13 hours, a record that is steal unconquered today by other sailing vessel. Unfortunately she was burnt for scrap.

Lightning was another great ship designed and made in America. Unfortunately it caught lightning, caught fire and eventually sank in shallow water.

Finally, we should not miss a very old but seminal to history of sailing ship:

Sovereign of the Seas was a naval ship with 100 weapons. She was designed by Peter Pett (later a Commissioner of the Navy), launched at Woolwich dockyard on October 13, 1637. As the second three-decked first-rate (the first three-decker being Prince Royal of 1610). She was the predecessor of Nelson's Victory, although Revenge, the model-ship, built in 1577 by Mathew Baker, was the initial inspiration.

She was the most lavishly decorated warship in the Royal Navy, and the money spent on her increased the financial crisis in King Charles I's court that contributed to the English Civil War.
              New York!

Now you're in New York!

Comment

• Wow, you didn't need to type all that out . I don't see the answer though. This one is one of Titanics sister ships from the same company and was built the same time. I'll take the name of the ship in the background as well. That one unfortunately suffered a fate similar to the Titanic, but at the hands of of humans, not mother nature.

Comment

• RMS Olympic 100% sure

Last edited by Clank; 10-27-2008, 10:43:57.
                  New York!

Now you're in New York!

Comment

• an apartment building?!?! lmao
                    Sister Dia <3
                    Elite Member of GFARDTO

Why Are YOU Worrying about You-Know-Who?
                    You SHOULD Be Worrying About
                    U-NO-POO -
                    the CONSTIPATION SENSATION That's Gripping the Nation!

Why so Serious?

Comment

• Originally posted by geordieboy View Post
                      RMS Olympic 100% sure

[ATTACH]10168[/ATTACH]
                      Is it the Anna Frank house? I am 99.9 percent sure.

Now 100 percent. Found picture:
                      http://www.amsterdam.info/pictures/night/

From aside:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	for gossip...JPG
Views:	1
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1690079

From above:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	or maybe for wildlife.. idk..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	1690080
                      Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

• I am thinking telescope or camera or both. Googling like mad.

Comment

• thermometer i think i have my temperature took with spmething like that befpre but me no pay attention
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hmmm... can I ask how big it is?
                            (Like, the size of a car, or a pencil eraser, or a football... etc. )
                            READ
                            >>CLICK>>sigpic<<CLICK<<
                            It'll SHOCK you!
                            Post anything and everything about Short Circuit HERE!

Comment

• I see clues in the titles of the pics.

I would say a it's something that either amplifies sounds from a long range away, or something like a radar that tells the speeds of things.

Comment

• Originally posted by RBS View Post
                                I am thinking telescope or camera or both. Googling like mad.
                                You are very close. Just be a bit more specific and you got it.
                                Btw did the names of the pictures help, or did you just recognize it?

Originally posted by Justeazy View Post
                                Hmmm... can I ask how big it is?
                                (Like, the size of a car, or a pencil eraser, or a football... etc. )
                                Not sure of the size, but it weighs 256 kg (564 lbs).
                                Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X