Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The big bang experiment - Will it cause the end of the universe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The big bang experiment - Will it cause the end of the universe?

I have mixed thoughts on this. While it will probably create tiny black holes, they should be harmless. But on the other hand, apparently they could be stuck in the earth and will, in 4 years time, kill us all. (The black hole could be the predicted death in 2012?)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_sc/big_bang

What are your thoughts on this?
    Last edited by EscapeGirl; 09-10-2008, 19:47:24. Reason: Added news article link
    Help the snail. Put him in your signature. Help achieve a slow world domination!

/ /
    L_L_
    / \
    |00 | _______
    |_/ | / ___ \
    | | / / \ \
    | |_____\ \_ / /
    \ \____/ /_____
    \ _______________/______\....................

I also have mixed thoughts of this. I don't believe that we should be messing with such things, without knowing more about it. It makes me very nervous, and I don't like it. But, on the other hand, I know even less about the CERN experiment and such sciences, as I certainly am no physicist. But I really REALLY don't like the thought of doing such experiments. I mean, isn't it called the big BANG theory for a reason!? I don't like it, and wish we could stop it. Some things, in my opinion, are better left unknown. (Though I don't think this should trigger mass hysteria, either.) This is one of them.

Comment

They wanted to start today, right? But I've read that a group of scientists wanted to stop them. I don't even know how it continued - were they allowed to start today?
      It's sooooo near to where I live

Well, I can't say much about it, because it's difficult for me to tell who is right or wrong. I've read several interviews with CERN people who have said that they are absolutely sure that there are no risks. But I have also read about opinions of other scientists. So, who do I believe?!? No idea...

Comment

Yeah, they started it today. But they haven't collided the protons yet, I don't think...not to the potentially dangerous extent... Just sent some down the tube. Here's an article about it:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_sc/big_bang

I still don't like it. I don't think we should mess with such things. The scientific community (the ones who know the most about such things) can't even agree that it's safe. I really wish we could stop it.

Comment

i read about how people around the world have been protesting because who are scientists to decide the risk of ending the world. But i disagree i think if scientists can develop more research about our planet the more chance we have of survival
          New York!
          Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,
          There's nothing you can’t do,

Now you're in New York!
          These streets will make you feel brand new,
          These lights will inspire you,
          Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York

JAY Z AND ALICIA KEYS - EMPIRE STATE OF MIND CLICK HERE

Comment

I myself have no concern about this. We as humans have been smashing things together sense time started. And the Big Bang Is just a theory. No need to worry. I watch the Discovery Channel! LOL.
            Life is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be lived
            "The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up."

Comment

Well, I don't think they should be doing this.
              Assuming that the black holes could be created from this experiement, why would scientists do this with that risk?
              I mean, who cares about how our planet was created? It was billions and billions of years ago. We could be doing things more IMPORTANT, like discovering cures for cancers and other diseases.
              It's kinda stupid if you ask me.

Comment

Uhm.. Is that true? Because on april fools my city's newspaper did a joke exactly like this in the newspaper

Comment

seriously lol but this is real
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it is true.

Comment

Oh okay Just checking

Comment

i have mixed feelings too i mean i think its cool how they are discovering something but scared because what if it gets out of control! and then someone tries to help but he fails and we will all die!(sorry i watch too much doctor who )
                        I am and will always be a timetraveler

Comment

I totally am with them. Why not discover how the planet was created? And black or worm holes swallowing the world? Nah, doesen't get me.
                          Happy endings are just unfinished stories...

PandaMan

Elite member of the Looney Bin with ex wife "SimplyCrazy" and on-line kids "Wirodeu, Bread ...and Rannei"

sigpic

Comment

I think finding out how the planet was created is just a big waste of time.

Comment

I must disagree. We're the first generation that has been offered a chance like that. And fortunately, we're that kind of generation that likes to explain everything. Why not explain how we got created?
                              Happy endings are just unfinished stories...

PandaMan

Elite member of the Looney Bin with ex wife "SimplyCrazy" and on-line kids "Wirodeu, Bread ...and Rannei"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X