Search Function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Function

i have a problem with the search........ i've said this before somewhere maybe in Chit-Chat thread. ANYWAY - my question is:

when searching for something like Mystery(i.e. Mystery games) why the heck does it give you everything ever made. instead of just the title in the thread name.

ok i didn't see the ADVANCED option.. Thank you
    Last edited by gh1; 12-25-2007, 20:39:21.

You have the possibility to choose on the drop-down list (under the keywords) if you want to search for entire posts or search titles only.
    If you wish to search only for titles of threads, choose the search titles only.

http://gamershood.com/forum/search.php

Comment

Searching for a certain level by number

I don't even know if this is the place to post this question but can't find anything else so I post it here.

What should I type in the search box when I'm looking for postings regarding certain levels?
      Many riddle level names come in just numbers and not in letters/words and just typing "level" followed by number doesn't return any results even in advanced search mode.

Is there any nifty trick in searching for "level + number" ?

Thank you,
      Smidget
      Proud Member of the Dunce Hat Society

Comment

No, there isn't, I know this problem all too well, too. The intern search engine only includes 4 letter words (or longer words), and common words are left out as well.

Though there is an easier way to look trough threads:
        View the Archive version of the thread: http://www.gamershood.com/forum/archive/index.php
        And use the browser "find option" (Ctrl + F) to find an particular word, word combination or number.
        Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

Thank you, Adventure.
          From now on, I'll use this method
          Proud Member of the Dunce Hat Society

Comment

yeah.. the search function stinks for numbers.. it won't do numbers.. on another forum we used to be able to search by two digit numbers (not anymore waaah)

Another trick I've found kind of helps-- sort of related to adventure's archived hints..

Google for it. For example:

Dracula's Riddle Level 81
            BTB Riddle Level 21

I find that many times posts from Gamershood and from Nordinho pop up in the results and I can kind of maneuver around that way.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckBoy View Post
              yeah.. the search function stinks for numbers.. it won't do numbers.. on another forum we used to be able to search by two digit numbers (not anymore waaah)
              Interesting, I should check the possibilities for our intern search engine to see if there is a separate setting for searching on numbers.
              Edit: There isn't.

Originally posted by DuckBoy View Post
              Another trick I've found kind of helps-- sort of related to adventure's archived hints..

Google for it. For example:

Dracula's Riddle Level 81
              BTB Riddle Level 21

I find that many times posts from Gamershood and from Nordinho pop up in the results and I can kind of maneuver around that way.
              Yes, I use that trick too for really large riddle threads. Though this method doesn't give always good resluts, sometimes you have to alter your key words a little. Nevertheless we added this search method into our suggestions for how to find hints in riddle threads:
              http://www.gamershood.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14635

EDIT: SEARCHING WITH NUMBERS IS NOW POSSIBLE!
              http://www.gamershood.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16866
              Last edited by Adventure; 09-11-2009, 00:15:12. Reason: edit
              Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

RAWR! I hate searching!!
                1. Because I search for it on the main GH and nothing comes up
                2. I search for it in the GH Forum and 20 pages of each word pops up
                3. There is a hyphen or it's spelled funny
                4. OMG
                5. I can't find the game...I post it...it gets BINNED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I assume you are talking about Roly-Poly Monsters.
                  Sometimes it's a good idea to double check with more than 1 keyword to prevent spelling connected issues.

Go to http://www.gamershood.com/forum/search.php
                  then use keywords. (In this case Roly and Poly won't work since there is the hyphen.) But Monsters will work.
                  Enter as Keyword "Monsters", and set in the drop-down menu underneath to "Search Titles only".

I get only 7 results

Comment

Originally posted by Mistery View Post
                    I assume you are talking about Roly-Poly Monsters.
                    Sometimes it's a good idea to double check with more than 1 keyword to prevent spelling connected issues.

Go to http://www.gamershood.com/forum/search.php
                    then use keywords. (In this case Roly and Poly won't work since there is the hyphen.) But Monsters will work.
                    Enter as Keyword "Monsters", and set in the drop-down menu underneath to "Search Titles only".

I get only 7 results
                    lol...oh no...I was talking about searching for games in general hehe

Comment

Well, that applies also in general.

Go to the search page, enter a keyword from the title with more than 3 letters. Select "Search Titles only".
                      If nothing found, enter another keyword from the title. Repeat.
                      If still nothing found, the probability is high that it's not posted yet

Comment

I was searching for the Tower of Eternity games (maybe there's a new one or I missed a level), but I get anything and everything BUT those games to show up. What can I be doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by SueJ999 View Post
                          I was searching for the Tower of Eternity games (maybe there's a new one or I missed a level), but I get anything and everything BUT those games to show up. What can I be doing wrong?
                          A new function to search exact match will be developed soon, that should make things easier

Edit:
                          And it's done, ready to use

He who fights and runs away can run away another day.

Comment

I have logged in in the new boards, and I've tried the search function for new games, but after I log in there, clicking the "Remember Me" box, it will say, "Thanks, Purp, for logging in." Then it has me as not logged in, using the security words to do an advanced search. Can someone help me, please?
                            Don't forget you are awesome.

Comment

Hmmm, that's strange. If you weren't logged in, you wouldn't be able to post.

Can you please close the browser window with GH, and delete your cookies?
                              Then try to log in again, and let us know what happens

Comment

Working...
                              X