No announcement yet.

Strange Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Don't know if it's been posted before or if they are true or anything but here's my attempt to revive the thread! )
    • Eskimos use refrigerators to keep food FROM freezing.
    • The sentence “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog”, uses every letter in the alphabet.
    • Average life span of a major league baseball is 7 pitches.
    • A 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.
    • The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year by the weight of books.
    • Nutmeg can extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.
    • The density of neuron star is 1.5 to 3 times of sun’s mass.
    • Almost 85% of the universe is a form of dark matter.
    • The first toilet ever seen on television was on “Leave It to Beaver”.
    • Only one person in two billion will live up to 116 of age.
    • 200 companies contributing 29% to the world economy employs only 0.9% of the world’s work force.
    • 98 tons of ore historic buried plant material is used to make one U.S gallon of gasoline.
    • An estimated 16,000 people worldwide are becoming infected with HIV every day.
    • Strong negative emotions lead to damage of immune system.
    • Due to pollution and overfishing, population of American, Asian and Europeans eels have declined up to 99%.
    • The dot over the letter “i” is called a tittle.
    • Neutrons have a life of 14 minutes outside the nucleus of an atom.
    • Only 22% of original forests on earth have remained.
    • There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with orange, purple and silver.
    • Humans are the only primates having pigment in the palms of their hands.
    • On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.
    • Reno, Nevada is west of Los Angeles, California.
    (Found by typing in strange facts on google: http://www.strangefacts.net/)

Comment

Thanks Heart! I appreciate it!
      The Eskimos fact made me laugh!
      Happy endings are just unfinished stories...

PandaMan

Elite member of the Looney Bin with ex wife "SimplyCrazy" and on-line kids "Wirodeu, Bread ...and Rannei"

sigpic

Comment

<<CONTENT DELETED - Please do not post hurtful/offensive comments. ~ Moderation>>
        Last edited by OneBun; 02-15-2009, 19:18:14. Reason: left offensive comments.
        Personal Quotes:"Fighting on the internet is like the Special Olympics. If you win, you're still retarded."
        "First Unspoken Rule Of The Internet: Nobody gives a *bleep*"
        Highlight the area below for a fortune about your life!
        If you actually highlighted this, you have no life.

Comment

I wish I saw what you wrote!

PandaMan

Elite member of the Looney Bin with ex wife "SimplyCrazy" and on-line kids "Wirodeu, Bread ...and Rannei"

sigpic

Comment

I think time is kind of a wibbly-wobbly ball of timey-wimey...... stuff

But seriously, some people think that time travel IS possible, but we'll only discover it in the future.
            But think about it; if people (i.e. WE) in the future gain the ability to travel in time, why haven't we come back in time yet?

Surely they would send a visitor to greet us and chat/warn us of future events/tell us how to make a time machine to prevent a paradox cos thats how they found out?

Or even just send a researcher to find out what the past is like? (because its been so long they've forgotten or lost records of past history)

Our physics teacher told us this, what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Snizzbut View Post
              I think time is kind of a wibbly-wobbly ball of timey-wimey...... stuff

But seriously, some people think that time travel IS possible, but we'll only discover it in the future.
              But think about it; if people (i.e. WE) in the future gain the ability to travel in time, why haven't we come back in time yet?

Surely they would send a visitor to greet us and chat/warn us of future events/tell us how to make a time machine to prevent a paradox cos thats how they found out?

Or even just send a researcher to find out what the past is like? (because its been so long they've forgotten or lost records of past history)

Our physics teacher told us this, what do you think?
              I have thought about that and come to my own wierd answer that makes sense to me

Maybe there are millions of alternate universes for the single person that goes back in time and for everyone else so when that person goes back in time, they alter only theirs, and it wouldn't really make sense to go back in time because going back you would only revert to yourself at that time because two of you couldn't exist in the same universe so really your just re-living a time in your life, and if you were to do something differently, you wouldn't even know because you would just be you and not you from the future, you may have some sort of deja vu or something telling you not to do whatever or do whatever but you would not be aware or know everything that has happened in the future, but then that raises the question of what happens to FUTURE you, you can't just dissappear into nothingness and reappear later, maybe going back in time causes you to die when it comes to the time you went back in time to so it would explain the dissapearance

Well that's my confusing thoughts that probably only makes sense to me What's yours?

Comment

@Snizzbut, I think that we could time-travel only as far as the point when we discovered time traveling, meaning we haven't done that yet. That'd make sense!

@Heartofthedark I completely agree with you on alternate universes. If you'd change something in the timeline then travel back into the future, then you'd be into an alternate unviverse with the changes you have done!

PandaMan

sigpic

Comment

For the time travel thing here's what I think:

the past, present and future exist at the same time because how do we know if someone is from the future but disguised or something because they can blend in because they know how to live in that era. woah alot of becauses okay alternate universes? yah i bet they exist too so thats cool! hehe
                  ~~~Cookies are the best weapon against war~~~

Mwahaha
                  Epicc people::Escapade a.k.a. EscapeGirl Jee etch Juan a.k.a. Gh1 Clankity Clank Clank a.k.a. Clank
                  Elle! a.k.a. uhm.. Elle Bronny! a.k.a. Bronwyn Shineeyy a.k.a. Shining Star
                  and otherss... You Know Who You Are

Stacking Ftw:3-3-3:2.11 3-6-3:2.61 Cycle:7.13!!
                  Wish me luck for the Six!!!

Comment

UPDATE

All you conspiracy lovers out there, soon I'm gonna post the mother of all conspiracies, "The Illuminati".
                    Last edited by Hitman; 04-15-2009, 12:43:37.

PandaMan

sigpic

Comment

I have a meeting in 1.5 hours and I am actually worried I might win 'Employee of the Month'. Which is unexplainable considering I spend 92% of my work time on GH. It's embarassing to talk about with anyone because I might not win (correction: I should not win!!) and I KNOW I don't deserve it. I have to make an acceptance speech I might just say what a load of $%& it is - and reveal myself as a lazy room escape addict. Luckily enough I work in sport so noone really cares if I do any work or not! Haha

EDIT>> I am concerned as a fellow GH member said we are all like 11 or 12? I'm 22? Please don't let me be the only "older" person on here! Maybe I'll make an adults only thread...

Comment

nah u are definitely not an 'older' person on here
                        i'm 15 but there are quite a few people that are 20 and over

# About 8,000 Americans are injured by musical instruments each year.
                        # 95% of the creatures on earth are smaller than a chicken egg..
                        # One in three dog owners say they have talked to their pets on the phone.
                        # Only about 5% of people dream in color.
                        # 35% of people watching T.V. yell at it.
                        # One in seven Americans can’t locate the U.S. on a map.
                        # 13% of the letters in a given book are “e”.
                        # The average age kids begin to use a microwave is seven.
                        # The average American uses 730 crayons by the age of 10.
                        # The average sleeper rolls over 12 times in bed per night.
                        # The Pentagon uses an average of 666 rolls of toilet paper each day.
                        # Your left hand does an average of 56% of your typing.
                        # It takes an average person seven minutes to fall asleap on an average night.
                        # 85% of phone calls are conducted in the English language.
                        # The Earth is turning to desert at a rate of 40 square miles per day.
                        # 12% of U.S. businessmen wear their ties so tight that they restrict the blood flow to their brain.
                        # Nearly 6% of all marriage proposals are made over the telephone.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chocbubbles View Post
                          nah u are definitely not an 'older' person on here
                          i'm 15 but there are quite a few people that are 20 and over

# One in seven Americans can’t locate the U.S. on a map.
                          Yeah, I'm definitely over 20.

And about that fact...you have GOT to be kidding. Please, oh PLEASE, say that's not true!

Comment

lol yeah, but ur not that old

ok here's a couple more:

Less than 5% of the population of New Zealand is human - the rest are animals, giving one of the highest ratios of humans to animals in the world.

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

i like this one the best :
                            If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for making me feel better, dear.

I've heard that last one before - about the statue. Interesting.

Comment

Hmm...

'Reality, as we sense it, is not quite real. The stars we see in the night sky, for instance, are not really there. They may have moved or even died by the time we get to see them. This unreality is due to the time it takes for light from the distant stars and galaxies to reach us. We know of this delay.
                                Even the sun that we know so well is already eight minutes old by the time we see it.'

Author: Manoj Thulasidas
                                Source: Perception, Physics and the Role of Light in Philosophy

Comment

Working...
                                X