Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I've read about it - great news!

Comment

• I've read the news about that devastating earthquake in New Zealand, and have seen some videos. That's so shocking and terrible
      I hope that all our members and their loved ones are okay

Comment

• Yes, I read about it last night! So tragic and frightening. I, too, hope our GH friends and families are okay!!!

Comment

• Most of my dad's side of the family live in christchurch and my mum's brother and a couple of friends live there too. We've heard from all of them and they're ok
          my uncle who's a police officer had the day off and left a meeting from a building that collapsed, about 15 mins before the earthquake.
          later when he was driving in the police car somewhere the car behind them was struck by falling debris and was crushed and the person killed, can't imagine if he'd been driving behind that car
          he got home about 4am and left at 6am to help with body recovery.
          he says christchurch will never be the same after this.
          my aunt who's also a police officer is helping with the phone helpline dealing with people finding out about family and friends well being
          all of the family's homes are standing just the stuff inside is damaged. they have water not sure about electricity.

been following all the news on the tv. it's amazing watching all the footage of destruction and the rescues going on there's been some amazing survivals. also devastating hearing about the 75 so far who weren't so lucky.
          all those historical buildings destroyed and damaged. it looks like a war zone. i can't believe this is in my own country

i hope the people on GH who live and have family and friends in christchurch are all safe. my heart goes out to you all
          sigpic

Comment

• Hi Choc, I am glad your family is safe. What a terrible event I am hoping that the people of Christchurch have a quick recovery

Strange as Angels, Dancing in the Deepest Oceans

Comment

• thanks Tipper
              yeah, gonna be a long recovery but i know they'll be able to do it. they have a lot of spirit and it's a really tight community
              as are all communities after events like this
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chocbubbles View Post
                Most of my dad's side of the family live in christchurch and my mum's brother and a couple of friends live there too. We've heard from all of them and they're ok
                my uncle who's a police officer had the day off and left a meeting from a building that collapsed, about 15 mins before the earthquake.
                later when he was driving in the police car somewhere the car behind them was struck by falling debris and was crushed and the person killed, can't imagine if he'd been driving behind that car
                my aunt who's also a police officer is helping with the phone helpline dealing with people finding out about family and friends well being
                all of the family's homes are standing just the stuff inside is damaged. they have water not sure about electricity.

been following all the news on the tv. it's amazing watching all the footage of destruction and the rescues going on there's been some amazing survivals. also devastating hearing about the 75 so far who weren't so lucky.
                all those historical buildings destroyed and damaged. it looks like a war zone. i can't believe this is in my own country

i hope the people on GH who live and have family and friends in christchurch are all safe. my heart goes out to you all
                OMG, your uncle was very lucky
                I'm so glad that your family and relatives are okay
                Yes, I've seen some videos and the destruction is massive, it's just terrible! I hope that there won't be many more after quakes and the city and its people can start to heal and build up soon.

Comment

• yeah, very lucky!
                  thanks Mistery
                  i hope so, they definitely don't need more aftershocks. the city's tallest building, the grand chancellor, could collapse at any time it would create even more havoc
                  makes me feel sick thinking about it..
                  Last edited by Chocbubbles; 02-23-2011, 15:49:51.
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah, very lucky!
                    thanks Mistery
                    i hope so, they definitely don't need more aftershocks. the city's tallest building, the grand chancellor, could collapse at any time it would create even more havoc
                    makes me feel sick thinking about it..
                    Originally posted by Chocbubbles View Post
                    Most of my dad's side of the family live in christchurch and my mum's brother and a couple of friends live there too. We've heard from all of them and they're ok

This just breaks my heart. All the lost lives. And all the lives of the survivors who have been through so much. Reminds all too much of other recent events like the earthquake in Chile, etc. It's just so sad. I feel terrible for the person behind your uncle's car. Geez.

But, on a more positive note, I'm very glad to read that your friends and family are okay over there and I hope to hear many more stories of survival.

Comment

• I've heard that the tv building (is it the grand chancellor you have mentioned?) is very unstable, and therefore people who are thought to be trapped in there can't be rescued
                      I can't even imagine what is going on there, such a tragedy

Comment

• I had no idea New Zealand had such earthquakes. Choc, you are doing an amazing job describing what's going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by EscapeGirl View Post
                          This just breaks my heart. All the lost lives. And all the lives, of the survivors who have been through so much. Reminds all too much of other recent events like the earthquake in Chile, etc. It's just so sad. I feel terrible for the person behind your uncle's car. Geez.

But, on a more positive note, I'm very glad to read that your friends and family are okay over there and I hope to hear many more stories of survival.
                          it's a tragedy all these events all around the world. i imagine a lot of people will move away from the area now. i guess there are positives that come out of it too the whole world unites to help out. there are a number of international teams arriving soon to help with rescues, america, japan, australia, singapore, south korea, britain communities become closer, you kinda reassess what's important in life...

Originally posted by Mistery View Post
                          I've heard that the tv building (is it the grand chancellor you have mentioned?) is very unstable, and therefore people who are thought to be trapped in there can't be rescued
                          I can't even imagine what is going on there, such a tragedy
                          the grand chancellor is a hotel i think the tv station you're thinking of is the CTV building, the Canterbury tv building. they abandoned it as it was too unstable. there are about 100 people still missing in it
                          i know, it's one thing watching/reading about it. a whole other thing actually being there...

Originally posted by RBS View Post
                          I had no idea New Zealand had such earthquakes. Choc, you are doing an amazing job describing what's going on.
                          yeah there's a big fault, the alpine fault, that runs up the west coast of the south island along the mountain range, the southern alps, and across the sea and curves around the north island. you wouldn't expect christchurch to be getting the big ones as it's on the east coast though there are several fault lines near it. new zealand's part of the ring of fire
                          Thanks RBS getting stories from my family especially the ones who are police officers helps plus the stories about it are on the tv almost 24/7 here not sure about other countries. being so close to nz and a lot of aussies live in christchurch.

now nearly 100 people confirmed dead
                          Last edited by Chocbubbles; 02-24-2011, 10:16:28.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Yeah, that's the ONLY good thing I can think of that comes out of such tragedies. People seem to come together to help; show support and compassion.

Comment

the grand chancellor is a hotel i think the tv station you're thinking of is the CTV building, the Canterbury tv building. they abandoned it as it was too unstable. there are about 100 people still missing in it
                              i know, it's one thing watching/reading about it. a whole other thing actually being there...
                              Yes I meant the Canterbury TV building, thanks for the clarification.
                              I know it isn't the same to read about it or watching videos, but even from that I'm completely terrified.

The death toll is at 145 at the moment, and more than 200 people are missing

Comment

• And yesterday a 6.0 earthquake in Chile - very near to where the other major one was. At the time I read the news story, there were no reports of damage/injuries. But that was last night. I can only hope that information remained the same.

And my heart goes out to the people in NZ and Chile.

Comment

Working...
                                X