No announcement yet.

General News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimson and Jones and Funja and anyone else in the hurricane area - *Hands wood and nails and a hammer* Please board up the windows and door if the winds get to strong (That's what people do right? We don't get hurricanes/tornados here) And like Escape said post back when it passes

Comment

• Take good care guys, I hope everything will go well for ya!

Comment

• Update: Much of Galveston (about 75 miles from me) is flooded due to storm surges, even though Ike hasn't made landfall. Additionally, this may be the reason for the sudden raise in gas prices:

"The oil and gas industry was closely watching the storm because it was headed straight for the nation's biggest complex of refineries and petrochemical plants. The upper Texas coast accounts for one-fifth of U.S. refining capacity."
        http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26637482
        sigpic

Comment

• Oh I hope everybody will be ok during this hurricane! *hopes that it doesn't come any higher in the states* according to the tracker the hurricane will be ending in the lower part of MO in the next 12-72 hours, which means I'm going to be having some major rain Which could mean more flooding

*~The Shining Star of GH~~*

The riddlers gang: Vivi, Sumitra, Hunter, Bizarrochick, Monkey, Archaicdome, and Teeodd!
          June 15th is fundayja day! July 9th is Teeodd day! July 10th is Sumitra day! July 11th is Shining day! September 13th is Crazy day! September 18th is Robot day! October 13th is Party 4 Ever day! March 15th is Archaicdome day!

*~a proud Mommy to be~*

Comment

• I've heard that, although we're in the direct path and less than 100 miles from the coast, we're only expected to get 2 inches of rain and winds of 65 MPH. I hope it won't affect you at all, Shining.
            sigpic

Comment

• now you tell us

I almost couldn't believe it when our venerable Dr. Neil Frank explained at noon today how the storm surge effects of Ike were going to be that of a category 4 to 5 hurricane...NOT that of a cat 2 which this one is.

If the fact that Ike is only a cat 2 kept people in there homes but the immense sweep of the winds cause a cat 5 storm surge its time to add additional ratings to hurricanes.

This won't effect me but pictures coming in from the coast already so massive flooding and the worst is still 10 hours away. They are doing helicopter rooftop rescues of people who were planning to leave but got trapped this morning because the surge came so early and quickly.

Comment

• Good luck to those in the hurricane areas. I'll pray for you.

Comment

• i know i am not in the path but i just watned to post an update on the gas prices around here they are 4.69 supposed to be 5 by night fall 6 by nightfall tomorrow and 7 monday so i might not be going to school
                  sigpic

Comment

• woah.

Comment

• i know i forgot to mention the gas shortage here too http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/se...hind-gas-woes/
                      just to let any stalkers know this is a generalazation i live pretty far from knoxville deal with it
                      sigpic

Comment

• Haha. stalkers.

Comment

• Its 4 am in the morning and the heavy stuff is upon us. Miraculously the power is on but I expect it to go off any moment. I just heard the first transformer go in the homes behind me. Looks like the eye is just east of downtown Houston and that is where all the refineries are. I will be watching the news as long as I can and post if possible.

Once the power goes out I don't know how long it will take to restore.

But I will be back fer sure. Hold on tight Crimson!

Comment

• awww...that sounds scary
                            i've never experienced any type of hurricane or a storm as bad as in the northern hemisphere
                            sigpic

Comment

• 9:30 am - I feel like Forrest Gump in the last surviving shrimp boat...my house has power and nobody else I know in the area does. I am constantly on the phone relaying what I see on TV. Downtown Houston looks bad. All the jobs in those buildings will likely be out of commission for a week. Some people I know are relocating their offices to other cities like Austin.

I mainly just have tree limbs to go pick up and put curbside. After that I hope I can drive to go help friends in worse shape. Couple of homes I am really worried about I cannot get any answer on the phone.

Will keep posting.

Comment

• Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm alright... I stayed the night with my parents, about a mile away. We lost electricity there around 3:00 AM, and a couple of sections of their fence were blown down, but that's the worst of it. I'm back at my house, and the only damage was a loose section of my fence and my tree got blown down... but it was already dead from the last hurricane. The ironic thing is my parents have water without electricity, and I have electricity without water.

In the area around between houses, lots of trees and fences have been damaged, there are a few down power lines, and the winds are still pretty fierce.

Needless to say, given the damage to other areas, I feel very lucky.

Oops, my electricity's cutting in and out... hope it will stay on!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X