• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yvonne View Post
    Who is making who jealous????
    I am clearly living in the wrong country
    Shes so wants to visit the museum.

Ahh the landscapes are my favourite. If I was there I would climb the hill you see in the 2nd pic.
    Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

• If it is a nice and interesting museum then I don't mind to visit it
      From now on, this is how it is going to be, just her and me
      sigpic

Comment

• To our dismay the museum was closed Otherwise I'da got pics.

Oh yeah, we were in the Gila Wilderness
        Last edited by Frantic Freddie; 08-20-2013, 01:59:32.
        "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

• Oh, it is not nice to have a closed museum when you wanna go see it

Pff, that is a lot of reading on that Gila Wilderness page but it looks great.
          sigpic

Comment

• It's a beautiful place But, contrary to what Wiki says, you can have motorized vehicles (after all, we drove there) in the Gila, they just have to stay on the roads & trails. You also don't need a permit in the established campgrounds, you just have to pay the fees ($5 a night where we were at).

Here's a funny story about the time we were there 20 years ago:

We were on a week-long trip around the Gila & while I'd never been to Snow Lake, she had, so we headed there. Got there about 1-2 pm, set up camp (a lot faster in those days, I had a full-size Ford van set up for camping) & went down to the lake to fish.
            We caught 1/2 dozen nice trout in 2-3 hours & went back to camp. A lady a couple of campsites away came over & says to us "Y'all just got here & you caught all those fish?!?"
            "Yep, nice huh?"
            She gets a kinda sad/frustrated look on her face & says "Please don't tell my husband, he spent $2000 on new fishing gear & he's been out on the lake (she points at him) since 5 am & hasn't caught one fish!" :LOL:

We didn't see him, so we didn't have to deal with it.

We left the next day because there was a fire nearby & wanted to beat the crowds.

Some part of the Gila is always on fire in the summer
            Last edited by Frantic Freddie; 08-21-2013, 04:32:01.
            "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

• Ouch!!! I can imagine the woman's reaction
              Not good that there is always a part on fire there....me thinks me is not going there because me is probably ending up in the on fire part somehow
              sigpic

Comment

• Heck, at any given time during the summer there's fires all over the western US (sometimes Florida too), there's fires in 10 states right now.

Not so cool story:

We own, along with the wife's brother & sister, 10 acres in the foothills of the Manzano Mountains. We'd camp there on holiday weekeds, I'd take a big canopy, lots of food & drink, we'd have friends come down & camp. It was heavily wooded, huge Ponderosa pines, alligator bark cedars, piٌon.
                Then in 2008 it burned It'll be 20 years before it all grows back. Probably longer,since Poderosas live a long time. My nephew cut one down (not even a big one) & we guessed it was about 60 years old.

Mark Twain

Comment

• Owwww that is so not good. I hope you can still go there although it won't be the same anymore.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ouch!!! I can imagine the woman's reaction
                    Not good that there is always a part on fire there....me thinks me is not going there because me is probably ending up in the on fire part somehow
                    Unless you've been here, I know you Europeans sometimes have a hard time visualizing just how darn big this country is. There's a lot of fires near where people live but most of them are so remote they have to helicopter the fire crews in. That is, if they don't just let it burn because it's so remote.

I read a story once about a fellow in Baltimore, his German co-workers, having recently arrived, asked him about renting a minivan for the weekend to go see the Grand Canyon.
                    Now any American reading that can see the problem immediately, but some of you Old World folks might think that's a reasonable question.

It might be, except for the fact that from Baltimore,Maryland (that's on the east coast) to the Grand Canyon is 2,300 miles/3700 km!

Personal story along the same lines: A young Brit friend came to visit us & we took him from our house all the way to Austin,Texas with some stops along the way. As we were driving through SE New Mexico he asked me "Freddie, how long has it been since we made a turn on this road?"

"Almost 2 hours" (traveling at 75-80 mph/120-130 kph)

Mark Twain

Comment

• It might be, except for the fact that from Baltimore,Maryland (that's on the east coast) to the Grand Canyon is 2,300 miles/3700 km!
                      That means a 15 hour drive ony good Porsche or BMW

A student who changes the course of history is probably taking an exam.

As long as the answer is right, who cares if the question is wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kzin View Post
                        That means a 15 hour drive ony good Porsche or BMW
                        I'll see your Porsche/BMW & raise you a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

My Brit friend had terrible trouble with our freeway exchanges, he said on his blog that Americans had mastered the 4th Dimension as far as roads
                        Last edited by Frantic Freddie; 08-24-2013, 23:51:40.

Mark Twain

Comment

Ouch!!! I can imagine the woman's reaction
                          that's the BBQ area

Comment

• From now on, this is how it is going to be, just her and me
                            sigpic

Comment

• That's why we have the best BBQ on Earth,everything's always on fire

Mark Twain

Comment

• We just got home from The Burning of Zozobra, which also marks the beginng of the Fiestas de Santa Fe. I have pics & vid, I'll get those up in the next coupla days.

No, it has nothing to do with Burning Man except that the guy who started that claims he didn't get the idea from Zozobra, but he lived in Santa Fe in the 70s! Everybody in New Mexico knows he's full of crap

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X